Friday, April 07, 2006

Top Turf

Not sure what the reason was but I have my suspicions that the laying of this lovely green turf over the cobbles of the 6th district* was politically motivated**. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised to have my normal walk to work broken up by a load of schoolkids mucking about on what seemed to be their new school playing field.

Unfortunately when I walked back that way after work the hoard of screaming kids had been replaced by a single screaming woman. No doubt she was a well-respected Hungarian entertainer who is a little past her sell-by date, but she was absolutely murdering all the songs she was screaching singing.

It may seem a cheap (or not so cheap) gimmicky trick to turn a pavement into a park but I love the fresh ideas that make people see their streets in a different light. Same goes for the good old Plage, which I hope makes a comeback this year.

* A lot of people think that the border between the 6th and 7th districts is Andrassy, but it's actually the lesser Kiraly. So this little square off Kiraly, between the post office and church, is 6th. Which is probably why they can squander their cash on fake grass.

** Turns out to be the SZDSZ party trick.

2 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was trying to place it, and couldn't work out where the grass had been put until I got to the last paragraph. What a nice idea!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger panjandrum said...

Horde, not hoard, unless they're carrying lots of change.

so you know that Dr. Pockless guy? Nice blogeroo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home