Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Political Broadcast

It's obvious if you're living in Hungary but to those that may be out of the country and out of the loop, there's a national election coming up this weekend.

This means the town is covered in posters telling you who to vote for. I'm an innocent bystander in this battle as I can only vote for MEPs and not MPs.

There was a bit of a hoo-haa about the posters. Fidesz even changed their posters after they realised you don't really win votes by slagging off your own country. They switched from bitching about how crap the country's become during the last 4 years to saying how great it could be if they get into power.


Read more

This past weekend was a flurry of activity with the two main parties organising rallies. MSZP chose Saturday to close half of Andrassy and paint the town red while Fidesz's orange men, women and children took over district V.

I'm definitely not into all the political goings on. You can read some more about it over at Pestiside. However, I will say that nipping out for vital ingredients for the Sunday lunch (grilled chicken*) was a surprising experience. Being the only foreigner in huge, orange, flag-waving crowds was a bit intimidating. But I guess it's all good fun.


* Rothchilds is truly a terrible place to shop with overpriced goods and they don't even have barcode readers. But on the plus side, some are open 24 hours and the one at Oktogon sells grilled chicken straight off the spit. Fantastic.


Back to home

2 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Timbo said...

The meal was going to be a simple rakott krumpli (slices of potato, interwoven with slices of egg and kolbasz then topped off with some sour cream and baked in the oven) but unfortunately most of the potato was rotten. Just enough for some side mash to accompany the emergency chicken.

Aside from the chicken and the great bread, I stand by my loathing of Rothchilds. Apart from a 20% markup on most goods there's just something wrong with them. There is a fairly new one near Arany Janos metro stop. When they furnished it, they didn't install barcode readers which I find amazing, especially as it's meant to be a "premium" shop.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that new Rotschild. My mum shops there sometimes, she gets her mineral water and organic milk supplies from there, lk 20 liters at a time. They do home delivery above 5000 forints or something lk that. I don't know very well, cos I live in Scotland.

I know what you mean though, I never liked the Rotschild on Karoly Krt...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home