Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sprok!

Apart from being a great name (not to be confused with Spork), it's also great "furniture". I've put furniture into quotes as while the chairs, tables and cupboards that Antal Sprok designs can be used to hold your everyday things, they themselves are far from ordinary.





A chest of drawers is placed in the chest of a strange man or a little old lady. A lean rabbit poses with a backpack into which you can place your own things. Or perhaps you prefer the camel who rests backwards to create a chair for you.



Read more


The furniture is all wooden sculpture and Sprok also takes it further with objects with no other purpose than to fascinate you with their fun creativity.









I first saw Sprok furniture when it was displayed in a Demko Feder shop on my way to work. It reminds me of the great originality of my old friend Dr. Pockless who turns out similar sketches over at Squint.


It appears that Sprok has a permanent display of his work in a Budapest gallery over at Kő utca 14, in the 2nd district and has an exhibition starting in the House of Hungarian Wines from March 3rd. I highly recommend popping over sometime to take a look at the weird and wonderful world of Sprok.


* Images "borrowed" from the Sprok and Squint sites. Please visit them for more of the same.

Back to home


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to be compared to somebody who does a work in a dimension I seldom dare to venture into - although I've just posted my first (sort of) 3D work on Squint, it would make a pretty useless storage device.

Good to see The Hungary Years back in business, by the way. I hope that infrequent commenting hasn't led you to believe no one is reading!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Timbo said...

Great bit of bog roll art there. Maybe there's a nice line of "post package sculpture" you could start up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home