Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Not An Uplifting Experience

This is a sign that I am seeing more often than I should. It reads

"Rossz vagyok. Javitás sajnos csak reggel"

which translates into

"I'm bad. Unfortunately, fix just in the morning"

which can also be read as

"The lift has broken down yet again for the umpteenth time and so you better start hiking up those stairs. Might be repaired in the morning, might not, who knows?"

Read more

Maybe I'm getting cynical and it's all in my mind but I'm sure that this is happening more frequently. It's a real bummer to see it when you've had a busy day at the office then stopped off at the shops to load up with food on the way home. It's a non-negotiable contract that you signed unwillingly to lug all your bags up 5 flights of stairs. Then again, think of the little old ladies that have to trudge up the steps. That's got to be hard.

People who get trapped inside used to have a alarm bell to ring with a push of a button. It sounded just like a normal doorbell so it was a while before I realised what it was when we first moved here.

Those who have to respond to the bell got fed up with the lift breaking down and the lift getting stuck. But instead of the house paying for repairing the lift properly or installing a new one they've just added another button and another alarm to ring. This one is linked to a telephone somewhere, so that you can chat to someone while you're imprisoned awaiting release.


I love the flat and the house that we live in. It's slowly improving bit by bit so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's in tip-top condition. The only problem is that by that time I'm probably going to be a wrinkly, old man muttering to myself as I carry my shopping up the stairs.


Back to home


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, it is lovely to read your blog again! cs.x

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Timbo said...

Cs, it's lovely to get your comments. I'm glad you're popping in for a quick peek at my everyday life in Bp.

I'm trying to get back into a routine that allows me to write a post a (work) day.

Almost missed Thursday, but it's there now and I think you'll like it. Just for you :-)

Timbo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home