Monday, July 11, 2005

Thieving Gits

What's the world (or the 5th district) coming to? In the last week there have been 2 successful thefts from our building and another unsuccessful attempt. One theft was a full-on break-in though I'm not sure what was taken. The other was a purse-snatcher (not a euphimism) taking the opportunity to reach through the rács (grill) of an open kitchen window to grab an old lady's bag in broad daylight.

Read moreThe third attempt was on our dodgy neighbour on the ground floor. I'm sure he knows some people who know some people if you know what I mean, so it's probably good job for the burlars that they didn't succeed. Or maybe it would be good if they came back and got some tasty just desserts.

I've heard a lot of stories of burgled flats in Budapest. Even so, it still makes me feel a bit disappointed when it happens. The neighbours that I spoke to said the expected, "it's not like it was", "getting unsafe", "in broad daylight!" I still have faith in Budapest as a low-crime city and I feel comfortable walking about late at night (except when there are skinheads about).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home