Saturday, July 09, 2005

Queer March

I had read about it over at good ol' Pestiside, but seeing as I didn't really fit the demographic, I had left it out of my diary. I'm talking about the Pride Weekend that marched, shook and generally boogied on down the street as I was heading to the Deák tér metro.

Read moreThe sound system was banging and bare-chested blokes were showing off their abs (but remember ladies, they're into men). There were a few queer things I noticed about the march and I'm not just talking about the gays & lesbians.

Maybe I missed the majority, but there weren't a whole lot of people taking part. With that level of noise, I was expecting somthing like the real Budapest Parade when I turned the corner. Well, maybe not quite that scale.

Perhaps the number of participants looked small because they were almost outnumbered by the huge troop of police that were present. I saw two trucks of people swinging the other way and getting on for twenty police vehicles in front and behind them. There was even the slightly tougher, scarier version of the police in their all-blue uniforms.

And even more police...


They had probably been expecting some trouble from the religous nutters group(s) that think homosexuality is a crime against humanity and that it's just a disease to be cured. Of course, it's just speculation but there were several people with banners patiently waiting behind barriers.

The banners were:
Szodoma (Sodomy)
Büszkeség = kérkedés (Pride = Bragging)
Kereszténységet az Alkotmányba = (Christianity to the Constitution) Jobbik is the right-wing party.

Unfortunately that's all we saw. We were in a bit of a rush so we just snapped some pics and went on our merry way. Hopefully there were plenty of parading party people to have a good time over at the Taban.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised by the numbers. I doubt that Budapest is an easy city in which to be gay and out.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Timbo said...

How can that be, when lesbians flaunt their actions in front of everyone?

Or perhaps it's all just a show?!

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, it's obviously a rum old place for lesbians...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home