Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Cuppas and Glassas?

I'm definitely an Englishman abroad when it comes to my morning rituals. Breakfast isn't breakfast without a cuppa. And by cuppa, I mean a nice cup of tea.

A dash of milk. No sugar and definitely no lemon. Recently though, my days have been dragging and I feel the need for a pick-me-up in the afternoon.

Read moreOf course, while a nip of Unicum would probably help digest the latest plate of NetPincer nosh, I fear it wouldn't go down to well in the office. Instead I've gone back to the post-dinner coffee. A important difference to my Hungarian style coffee to the one's back home is that i) it's coffee and ii) it's in a glass. With a glass, there's more than just the taste and the smell, it's able to stimulate another sense by looking dark and mysterious.

I've got nothing against coffee cups but sipping from a glass just takes me back to afternoons discussing ridiculous get-rich-quick schemes in Szimpla where of course, it's always in a glass and sometimes enhanced by a side-biscuit. Perhaps I should put in a purchase order for some of those too.

5 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Doctor Pockless said...

Ah, coffee-in-a-glass.

Ah, coffee.

Stupid mugs of granulated shit country...

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Naomi said...

now now pockless, it's not all bad. we have nice cafes in brighton you know. if you will live in bristol or budapest (do we all have to live in places beginning with b for the rest of our lives???) then, well, tough. (covert invite to brighton for coffee.)

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Naomi said...

...and, tim, what's your flikr account? show us yours and i'll show you mine. and i'll show you a cracking photo of pockless in his younger years.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Timbo said...

Hello there!

I've only been using Flickr to get the photos onto the blog. So not too many other pics there (I think).

Here's the Flickr link.

T

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Doctor Pockless said...

Yes, you can get a decent cup of coffee in England, if you're prepared to pay the equivalent of a good night out in Budapest. The point is in Budapest you're more or less guaranteed a good cup of coffee anywhere and it won't cost you the Earth.

Also it comes in a glass.

Finding appropriately sized coffee is also a problem in England. If you want small you can have an espresso. Otherwise it comes in a bucket and it's scalding.

No, I maintain that the coffee is shit in England. Nevertheless, I'm happy to accept your invitation to Brighton.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home