Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Crashes & Bananas & Humanity

I've been described as one of the few bloody blogging optimists about town but sometimes even I need some reassurance that there are some decent people out there.

Read more

The other day I saw a car accident at the corner of Bajcsy and Andrassy. Nothing special. The lights were turning red, and all the cars were in their usual dash to get across before being deemed too illegal. Unfortunately for the driver in a small, white Peugeot, the driver behind thought they could still make and slammed into the back of him. Now you might think that my knock against humanity came from the two drivers then sorting each other out on the street, but no, they behaved impeccably.

It was the policeman standing next to the road that witnessed the whole incident. After the crunch, instead of going to the drivers to make sure everything was okay and perhaps offer some words of wisdom / caution, he just gave them the thumbs-up. As if to say, "nice crash there, well done".

My faith in humanity was restored this morning as I bought some apples and bananas from the tiny fruit & veg place on Nagymezõ. Going in, I declared that I only had 350 forints in change and the dreaded 10,000 note. I simply said that if I went over 350 ft, she should tell me before she rings it up and I'll put some bananas back. When the bill came to about 500 ft, she said it wouldn't be a problem and I can just pay it next time I pop by. Wonderful.

Of course, I'll have to find a new fruit and veg place to shop at now that I've got my sneak profit of 150 ft, but it's worth it.

Note - The pic was lifted from a bizarre but great site called Boring 3D. Make sure you check out the archive.

Back to home

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Emily said...

You would cheat the woman who restored your faith in humanity out of 150ft? Bad behavior.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Timbo said...

Well, I am a tight git. But no, I'm not that bad. Even with a huge, new greengrocers that's opened up next to the office, I remain faithful to my good old, tiny fruit and veg place Nagymezõ.

I popped in just yesterday to buy my weekly intake of peely things and volunteered a 200ft bonus for the lady. She had forgotten all about it of course, but like I say, I'm not that bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home