Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Electric Metric

Our good old electric meter has been switched for a snazzy new one. I quite liked our ancient black metal meter (no picture, sorry) but I'm sure the new, snazzy, minimalist meter will grow on me. It seems that another thing that I'll have to get used to is the whopping increase in electric bills.

Read more

After installation the meter starts counting up from zero. Which is nice. But I fear that it may be counting too keenly. After just a few days it became apparent that we're using about 50% more electricity than normal. Though I don't think we're using any more electricity than we usually do, so it's got to be the meter.

The lovely lady puts it down to a conspiracy by the utility companies. There would be an uproar if the price of electricity, gas and water suddenly rose by 50% but if they just keep the unit price the same and switch the meters to sneakily use more units, then it becomes a hidden problem that individuals have to discover and address.

Perhaps our previous meter was old and slow but you never know. One thing's for sure, I'll feel cheated if I have to pay more for using less.

Back to home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home